Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Black Madonna Comes Home Again













Back in 2004, I read Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees . I loved the book so much that I made a Black Madonna quilt. In October 2005, I was at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC representing Quilters of Color Network of NY for their annual quilt day. I just so happened to have another quilt on display that day. A woman came up to my quilt and inquired about it. We got to talking and she explained that she was a writer from South Carolina. She indicated that she planned to write a future book set in the ante-bellum South that would deal with slaves and have something to do with quilting. She then asked me if I would mind if she could contact me in the future. Of course, I said yes. I then asked her for her name and she said Sue Monk Kidd!

Needless to say, I told her how I loved her book and I was happy to show her a photograph of my Black Madonna quilt that I had with me. I later mailed her a full photo of the quilt which she then bought. I couldn't think of a better person to buy my quilt! Never in a million years would I have expected that the person who inspired me to make the quilt would actually buy it one day. Some things are just meant to be.

I have to admit that I missed seeing that quilt when I walked into my studio. However, my good buddy and sister quilter, Catherine Lamkin, of Charleston, SC, later presented me with a poster size framed photograph of Sue Monk Kidd holding my quilt. She also quilted a border for the photo. This photograph hangs in my studio now.

Last week, I finally decided to make a shrine. I had read an article on doors in the premiere issue of Fibre&Stich by Ruth Rae and was inspired to bring my Black Madonna home again.


(http://www.suemonkkidd.com/)
(http://www.fibreandstitch.com/)

4 comments:

JaneBB said...

Teresa, your blog looks great. I especially like your profile. And, your great artwork, of course!

Unknown said...

Looking good, Sis!

Kate North said...

Finally moved Secret Life of Bees to the top of my reading pile after you shared this story on Fibre & Stitch - really glad I did - excellent book. And of course, the quilt is fab, too.

Lynn Cohen said...

This is a fabulous story! I too loved that book. I wanted to follow the characters to the next phases of their lives. I think I still look for them! One of those, I feel in love with a book experiences.
What a thrill for you, what an honor! You did it such justice with your art work and quilt piece. I'm glad you have the photos now too. Good for you! Wow!