Monday, September 24, 2007

Summertime Fun


This past summer was a very busy one. I was able to finish several new pieces as well as teach a few classes. The largest piece that I finished was one I titled Madre de Agua in honor of the Yoruba Goddess of the Ocean, Yemaya. Yemaya is often depicted as a beautiful mermaid. I used several mixed media techniques to construct the quilt. Media used included dyed and painted canvas, water-soluble wax pastels, Shiva Oil Paintsticks, embellished felt, Angelina fiber, beads and charms, cotton fabrics, sequins, pearl cotton, metallic threads, and other fibers. The piece utilized hand and machine work.

2 comments:

catquiltz said...

Hot fun in the summertime obviously you were splashing around in the ocean of creativity. The piece is gorgeous. The face is marvelous. The use of a variety of mixed mediums is wonderful.

Lynn Cohen said...

Again, another very beautiful piece of art. I wish I could join in your classes.