Thursday, September 27, 2007

Playing with Lutrador






For the past few weeks I have been playing around with a Lutradur, a non-woven polyester material. You can paint Lutradur with all sorts of materials, sew it, burn and distress it, sew it, and transfer images to it. There have been several articles on Lutradur in Cloth, Scissors, Paper, Quilting Art Magazine, Fibre&Stitch, and Workshops on the Web. Since I teach mixed-media art quilt techniques, I figured that I better start using it.
My She Was Beautiful quilt featured a photo of my great-grandmother back in the day (like back in the early 1900s!) that was transferred onto Lutradur. I ran the Lutrudur directly through my ink jet printer. I then backed the Lutradur with a piece of copper ArtEmboss metal to mimac a tin-type print. The other photo was the beginning of a Fiber&Stitch Lutradur and Lace challenge piece. I actually added chesscloth (scrim), lace to the Lutradur and painted it using Stewart Gill paints. I then made a small quilt called "Flutter by, Butterfly(not featured).

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I am writing you because I am a member of the Exempt Fireman's Association. I am on the the Committee for the 1st Annual Black History Month Dinner. Along with a huge buffet of food and door prizes we are giving a tribute to John Flowers for all of his contribution he does for our community. The Committee and I would appreciate it and would be honored if you could attend this event and tell some of your stories I read and talk about your heritage and bring some of your beautiful breathtaking Quilts. We also hope that if you have the chance to give me a call or an email and I will put a nice plate of food away for you if you can stop by. If you can't please feel free to send us a brochure of your Quilts and we will display them on every table.Thank you and everyone else who have donated there time for this event to be made possible. Thanks again.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Paris-Pryor

ps. I am also half puerto rican and half african american. My father is from fajardo, Puerto rico.

Contact info: Rebrspryor@aol.com
845-485-3183
Address: 2288 Newhackensack Rd , Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
This is our flyer for the event.

1st Annual Black History Month Dinner
Feb. 28, 5pm-11pm
Tickets are available@
Exempt Fireman's Association
200 Mansion Street
Poughkeepsie, NY
845-454-2275
$15 Members $20 Non-Members $25 per Couple mem/non
Live DJ Entertainment&Door Prizes
Food Served:Ham, Fried Chicken, Jerk Chicken, Fish, Collard greens/turkey or pork,Mac n Cheese, Cakes, Deserts and much more.
A VERY SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO JOHN FLOWERS