Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Our Golden Aviator











Earlier this year I had the great opportunity to accompany my great uncle, James H. Fischer, to Washington, DC to witness the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor being given to the famed Tuskegee Airmen of World War II. My uncle is an Original Tuskegee Airmen who was shot down over Yugoslavia during WWII. He also received a Purple Heart and 3 Bronze Medals for his bravery. Like a lot of Tuskegee Airmen, he had mixed feeling about attending given their shabby treatment during the war. However, I had to remind him that there is something called family honor and we needed to witness this long overdue historical event. Needless to say, we had a wonderful time. He was able to re-connect with old friends and got the hero treatment he so deserved, including a bronze replica medal.

I had to teach a fabric book class over the summer at The City Quilter so I decided to commemorate the trip by making a book. The title of the book is Golden Aviator in honor of my uncle. We are so proud of him!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Teresa,
For someone not too sure of working a blog, you have done a dynamite job. I look forward to dropping in to see what you have been up to. Great job!

Lynn Cohen said...

What a tribute to your brave uncle. I'm glad he was finally given his due, respect and honors.

I am enjoying looking at your art work. Very impressive. I am just now deciding to make some sort of art piece/quilted using a photo of my grandmother and/or grandparents.
I was at the quilt shop today looking at possible fabrics. Now I need to decide on pattern/size etc.
Thank you for your inspiration!